In April, I had my official book launch in NYC at Saint Vitus Bar, which was great. I had invited three bands and it was essentially a live performance with a bit of talk from me. Books were sold, drinks were well, drank, people were extremely impressed by the talented performers (and WAYDH interviewees) Tamar-Kali, Kudisan Kai and MilitiA, and it was a helluva lot of fun.
Over a year ago, I had dreamed about doing this type of event in as many cities as I could in 2013, as providing a platform to showcase young musical artists was really important to me. However, some unforseen events earlier this year caused me to temporarily put that idea on ice, but What Are You Doing Here? is doing well, and because this fall I have a number of already scheduled speaking engagements, I decided to revisit my dream and (hopefully) add a few more events to my schedule.
But I'm going to need your help. I need some musical talent!
The idea is to invite two bands from each city to do a mini-concert after I do a reading and/or do a book discussion, in the following cities:
- Age and band longevity (how long you have been together as a band or as a solo artist) is not a factor.
- All sets will be 30 - 40 minutes maximum. This can waver depending on how much material you have, but that is the average time you will be able to perform.
- Bring and sell your Merch!
- If you also want to recommend a venue in your city that you feel might be appropriate, please do.
- If you need equipment, please list what you need.
- If you have a sound person that you feel comfortable working with, please list their name, too.
- Please provide a brief bio, including the amount of band members in your band, how long you have been a band, etc.
- Please let me know the average age and availability of your band. Do you prefer playing on weekends or weeknights? is there a particular month that does not work for your band? I'm really excited about showcasing young bands, but I'll need to know your age to determine what type of venue can be booked in your city.